The Ribbon is arranged in tabs. Each tab houses categorized groups of application-specific commands. Each application has a certain number of default tabs and may show contextual tabs with additional tools when certain elements in the file are active. In Office 2010, the Ribbon can be minimized, as well as customized.
Minimizing the Ribbon
There are three ways to minimize the Ribbon and show only the tab names. The first two methods described below were available in the previous version, and the third option is new to Office 2010.
- Right-click method:
- Right-click a Ribbon tab. A short-cut menu appears.
- Select Minimize the Ribbon. A check mark will be placed by this option to indicate it was selected.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 to maximize the Ribbon.
- Double-click method:
- Double-click a Ribbon tab.
- Repeat step 1 to maximize the Ribbon.
- Minimize the Ribbon button method:
- Click the Minimize the Ribbon button (upward pointing chevron) in the upper right corner of the window next to the blue Help circle. The chevron will toggle to point downward.
- Click the Minimize the Ribbon button (downward pointing chevron) in the upper right corner of the window to maximize the Ribbon.